Chief Privacy Officer: Mike Shapiro
As Chief Privacy Officer for the County of Santa Clara, Mike Shapiro brings a wide range of experience across the information privacy life cycle. In the consulting world, he excelled in leading government and industry professional teams advising clients on the most pressing privacy matters from new program development and data breach preparedness to privacy training and compliance.
With approximately 2 million residents and 20,000 County government employees in the heart of Silicon Valley, Mike is working to create an enterprise privacy program in support of constituent and employee privacy alike. Building upon the County's exceptional growth in technology and economic development, he also looks forward to creating the public-private partnerships necessary to establish a Privacy Center of Excellence (COE). Working with industry and academia, the COE can discuss the latest privacy threats and solutions, socialize best practices, and strive to balance responsible information sharing with privacy protections.
Mike holds a Bachelor's degree in Business Management with a minor in Computer Information Systems from Missouri State University and a Master's degree from Georgetown University in Communication and Technology. He also holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) credential with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) credential.
- Podcast – Santa Clara County’s CPO on the importance of privacy at the local government level, Privacy Matters Podcast – May 2019
- Podcast – Santa Clara County's CPO on building a privacy program from the ground up, The Privacy Advisor, IAPP – Jan. 2019
- Press coverage – Privacy in the Balance, GovTech – Sept. 2018
- Press coverage – Inside the mind of Silicon Valley's chief privacy officer, Smart Cities Dive – Jan. 2018
- Press coverage – Santa Clara County Hires Its First-Ever Chief Privacy Officer, San Jose Inside – Dec. 2017
In addition to the CPO, the Privacy Office is staffed by privacy professionals with a variety of backgrounds, including in areas of law, policy, and technology. We are a dynamic and growing team working under the direction of the CPO in collaboration with other County departments to promote the vision and strategic priorities of the Privacy Office. Some of our ongoing projects include conducting privacy impact assessments on County systems, developing privacy criteria for vetting County vendors, and providing departments with assistance in developing use policies for surveillance technologies. We are also working closely with departments to integrate privacy by design into County processes.
2460 N. First Street, Suite 220
San Jose, CA 95131
Email: [email protected]
- 2021 Data Privacy Day Report - Modern Contact Tracing for Future Pandemics
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Scams: Tips to Help Prevent Exploitation
- Online Privacy Protection Services to Reduce Personal Information Exposure
- Supervisor Joe Simitian's Privacy Legislative Record
- County of Santa Clara Surveillance Technology and Community Safety Ordinance