What We Do
The County of Santa Clara strives to protect the privacy of its residents. The Privacy Office works to promote this interest through a variety of initiatives. Some of the activities we support include: policy and process analysis and development, vetting of surveillance technologies, analysis of data sharing projects, advocacy, privacy assessment activities, and special projects. Read about the vision and strategic priorities of the Privacy Office here.
Privacy Laws, Policies, and Standards
Privacy laws exist at the federal, state, and local level. To help provide an overview of the various frameworks that govern privacy in the United States, the Privacy Office has created a list of several laws and ordinances related to privacy rights. We also list relevant industry privacy standards and guidance. Read more here.
Consumer Privacy Tips
While technological innovation has led to many benefits, the increasing collection of information through online sources and connected devices has also created new privacy risks. Navigating social media, keeping track of privacy policies, and managing online profiles can seem like an uphill battle. It is important for individuals to understand the benefits and risks and to take any mitigating steps they feel are necessary to address them. As a starting point in this process to help people learn some common ways to protect their personal information, the Privacy Office has compiled a list of steps individuals can take to protect their privacy in our digitally connected world. Read more here.
- The Federation of American Scientists released a new report on A More Responsible Digital Surveillance Future, featuring FPF and fellow network members Mike Shapiro, Judith Mowry, Hector Dominguez-Aguirre, and Brian Hofer (February 2021)
- Voters in California Approve New Privacy Law, the California Privacy Rights Act (November 2020)
- Final Regulations Regarding California Consumer Privacy Act Approved by California Office of Administrative Law (August 2020)
- County of Santa Clara Chief Privacy Officer, Mike Shapiro, featured on Privacy Matters Podcast (May 2019)
- Santa Clara County Privacy Office Goes to Washington – IAPP Global Privacy Summit, May 2019
- Santa Clara County Welcomes First Chief Privacy Officer - Simitian Applauds Next Step in Becoming a Privacy Center of Excellence
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Scams: Tips to Help Prevent Exploitation
- Online Privacy Protection Services to Reduce Personal Information Exposure
- Government Data Privacy: Who's Minding Your Business?
- Privacy Strategies by Mike Shapiro
- Election Security Event Held at Googleplex in Mountain View
- 2019 IAPP P.S.R. Event Notes
- Silicon Valley Surveillance Technology Joe Simitian – The Guardian
- Santa Clara County Hires Its First-Ever Chief Privacy Officer – San Jose Inside
- Inside the Mind of Silicon Valley's Chief Privacy Officer – Smart Cities
- Privacy in the Balance - GovTech
- County of Santa Clara Chief Privacy Officer, Mike Shapiro, featured on the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Privacy Advisor Podcast.